As it stands today, the Cardiology Department of SZH is a State of the Art Interventional Cardiology Unit with 2 cath labs, offering all the latest coronary and peripheral endovascular interventions of world-class standards.
The Cardiology Department has the following units:
1. The Interventional Cardiology Unit
The Interventional Cardiology Unit has 2 cath labs fully equipped with IVUS (intravascular ultrasound), FFR, Rotablator, and IABP. The unit performs 2700 procedures per year. These include:
These cath labs run two shifts, from 8am to 8 pm every day, along with providing emergency cover at all times. We are a tertiary referral centre for coronary interventions and renal failure as well as the only centre in Punjab performing high volume peripheral endovascular interventions.
- Diagnostic coronary and peripheral catheterization
- Primary PCI for coronaries
- Elective PCI for coronaries
- Complex coronary interventions including CKD patients with calcific disease
- Unprotected Left Main Stem disease, bifurcations, CTO & SVG interventions
- Peripheral interventions (PTA) including lower limbs, upper limbs, renal and
- aorta angioplasty and stents
- Permanent pacemakers including single and dual chambers
- ICDs (intra cardiac defibrillators)
- PTMC (mitral valvotomies)
2. Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
The unit has a 21 bedded fully equipped CCU with ventilatory and hemodialysis support services. There is a 24 hour emergency service available. Fully staffed with qualified, dedicated and caring doctors , nurses and paramedics. All emergency services and procedures are available round the clock. e.g ,Temporary pacing, pericardiocentesis , CVP lines, Arterial lines and intra aortic balloon pump.
There are additional 30 beds for general cardiology, with a dedicated 5 bed heart failure ward that is fully monitored and staffed
3. The Heart Lab
Traditionally called the heart and lung lab because of pulmonary function tests availabilty but now a separate department in its own right.
The heart lab provides the following facilities for both OPD and Indoor patients:
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Bubble contrast echo
- 24 hour Holter monitoring
- 24 hour ambulatory BP monitoring
- ETT (exercise tolerance test)
4. OPD and ER
There is a 5 day morning OPD service and a 7 day , 24 hour ER cover which serves the people of Lahore and from all over Punjab as the point of admission to this tertiary centre